Sunday, October 18, 2015

September 19, 2015

Two weeks down!  I’m exhausted!  It’s tough finding your way in a new school, but some positives are:  my class of 21 is wonderful!, and  I have a full time EA, who is a real doll!

Here is a snap of books I read to start the school year off.  Some others, that didn’t make the photo shoot, are Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon, Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun

 I start my day off with prep this year.  I’m finding it difficult to get used to with grade 1.  I had it first when I taught grade 8 (it was a double prep every other day), and it was fine.  With the little ones, it feels odd not to greet them first thing, take attendance, and collect agendas/notes.  But, I’m sure I will get used to it soon enough.  Once a week, I get a double prep first thing.  Too bad I couldn’t just sleep in and come at 10:45.  J


When I do come in the room, we start with our Morning Meeting at the carpet.  Because it is the start of the year, we review our 5 Wonderful Classroom Rules, from Whole Brain Teaching.  Most of the kids have fallen right into the pattern of it, but I have a couple that just sit there  I try to come up with new ways to make it more exciting each day, to keep the energy and motivation up.  I will say that this year, I am doing much better with the Scoreboard.  Our tallies are racking up.  We count up the previous day’s Smilies and Fownies, and see who won.  If the Smilies won, the class gets a point towards Friday’s Mind Soccer.  More on that later.  Next, we move on to the Calendar.  The second week of school, I assigned the classroom jobs.  One person does the calendar all week.  This makes it easier than trying to figure out who hasn’t had a turn, etc.  They sure do love using the pointer and reciting things.  J   The next part of our meeting is Power Pix.  We review the ones we have done, and if I feel they know them well enough, I introduce a new one.  We are going slowly at this point.  We have done four:  Sentence, Noun, Title, and Days of the Week.   I will then wrap up our carpet time with a little story from out Kid’s Bible, say a little prayer, and off for a snack and then Recess.

No comments:

Post a Comment