Sunday, January 10, 2016

Hello Friends,

It certainly has been a mild winter in Southern Ontario compared to the last few years.We had a green Christmas, which was fine by me.  It was so mild, making driving safe, and getting around much easier.  My 92 year old dad was able to drive himself to my house.  He also helped with the dinner.  :)  It snowed the week after Christmas, covering the backyard with a nice layer of white, icy snow.  My puppies could finally go out and enjoy the backyard.  They loved it!!!  They hadn't been able to because it is a mud bath back there from having a new septic system put in and then an above ground pool.  After the temperature plummeting for a couple of days, it is back to warm again.  This morning, the snow is nearly gone from the yard.  It's been raining for two days.  I had to take the pups out for a leash walk.  Bennett does not like the rain, and just wanted to go home.  But, Lady doesn't seem to even notice it.  

About school:  I added to my Christmas Around the World unit this year.  I made cute little spiral notebooks for each student, with fill-in-the-blanks for each country we visited.  We started off, December 1st, with a trip on the Polar Express to the North Pole.  This gets everyone in the spirit.  I place a bell on each student's chair to put in their 'suitcase'.  We also did directed drawing reindeer.  They always turn out great.  Santa Stars and popsicle stick reindeer were also made. 
For each country we learn a little about Christmas traditions and then make a craft or two that go along with their traditions.  I also show 'Arthur's Perfect Christmas'.  I love this movie as it deals with the many traditions and cultures of Arthur's friends.  
In Germany we learn about the dill pickle tradition and make a pickle ornament to hang on the treeI will be putting this unit on my Tpt store.  
In Mexico we made sun catcher poinsettias.
In Bethlehem, we read about the story of the birth of Jesus.  We made a candy cane craft with Baby Jesus in the crook of the cane.  We also learned a little about Jewish history and Hanukkah.  We made a Star of David with popiscle sticks and lots of glitter.
In Africa, we learned about Kwanzaa and made a candle holder that I put a tealight candle in.
Last year, I found a new idea on a site that I can't remember now.  I send home a template of a Christmas tree, with a note to families.  Each family decorate the tree, using any material they like.  At school, we have a 'contest'.  Every tree wins an award, such as:  most glittery, most glamorous, best use of nature, cheerleader award, etc.  Last year everyone in the class did one; this year I had two families that did not participate.  They make a beautiful display in the hall or classroom and every kiddo is so proud of their award that I attach to their tree.

This week we are going to be finishing up our Kevin Henkes unit.  And each day we will be doing our Genius Ladder Writing.  My little ones this year have been struggling with writing a complete sentence.  The WBT writing method certainly helps.  We start each lesson with oral writing.  I project the template sentence on the Smart Board and then go around our horseshoe, with each child filling in the noun, verb, or adjective.  I have a few that are now doing the extender sentence, but also a couple that are not yet making a three word sentence that makes sense.  Differentiation!  :)

In Science, we are working on our Energy unit.  Students are learning about Source of Energy and Energy Output.  The Ontario Power Generation website has great resources for grades 1, 6, and 9.  There are printable books for teachers and student workbooks.  These are fantastic and match up with the provincial expectations.

Math this week, is all about patterning.  I am actually using the Math Makes Sense workbook for the first time this year.  I am not a big fan of the grade 1 and 2 workbooks.  I love it for Grade 3 and above, to reinforce skills.  I typically make up my own math lessons, getting many ideas from other teacher's blogs.  Smitten With First is one of my fave's for math ideas and engaging centres.

On Friday, we are having a pretend Snow Day, since, at this point, it doesn't look like we will have one this year.  Kids can wear their p.j.s and bring a stuffy.  We will be reading 'Snow Day' and 'Brave Irene'.  I used Amy Lemon's, Step Into Second Grade ideas.  Check it out - this is my FAVOURITE teacher blog.  Her Rooted in Reading packs, that she has developed this year, are jam-packed full of TERRIFIC lessons and craftivities!!!

Still pouring rain out there, but I have to go out in it to do a few Christmas returns, and drop my car at the garage --- gas leak!  eeeek!  Enjoy your Sunday!  xox

No comments:

Post a Comment